Skip to main content

Concept of Marriage : Getting Clarity through Confusion


Marriage has been a deeply confusing topic from the beginning of civilization. As soon as you hit a certain age, you have to make a decision. A big scary DECISION.

Getting married or not ? 

Now here I have cited most of the common reasons why people marry. Hope you will agree. But that's not the point of this post. 

The point is to get clarity over why we do it. And I think, there is no better way to understand something without questioning the very foundation of what we think to be correct. 

So, without further ado, let's dive in & think through some questions, which I believe, are hard but worth pondering over. 

Ready.....Steady.....Go.

1) Some do it for physical, mental & emotional fulfilment 

Don't you feel fulfilled now ? 

How do you know marriage will make you fulfilled ? 

Is this fulfilment just an IDEA or a real thing ?  

2) Some actually don't need it presently, still do it so that they will have a child who will take care of them in older days 

What if we don't get care in older days ? 

Would we die then ? 

What's wrong with death, if that's what we will get anyway ? 

Can you buy care in other way ? 

3) Some do it out of fear of social pressure so that they could be labelled as NORMAL. 

What it means to be normal ? 

Again, is this a real thing or just a seductive idea we have all agreed upon as a society ? 

What if one doesn't act normal ? 

Do we confuse normal with being healthy ? 

4) Some do it just to keep extending the family tree. They want to leave something behind. 

What's wrong with ending it here ? 

Are you simply feeding your ego ? 

Or, is it a moral obligation ? Like a promise you made with your parents to keep the tree alive 

5) Some do it to avoid loneliness 

Why do we want to avoid loneliness ? 

Is it because it is causing some sort of pain when we feel lonely ? 

Do you think your parents don't feel this pain since they are married ?  

6) Some do it because they couldn't achieve a goal & now need a child who will do it for them 

What's wrong with letting it go ?

Is it because it's so important that it must be done ? 

What if your idea of what is important is wrong ? 

Now, I am no wise guy to answer any of theses questions. But I guess thinking along these lines will make life a little better, instead of blindly believing something to be true. 

P. S : I am not supporting or opposing the notion of marriage. The aim is to bring clarity of thought. That's all.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Face of Frustration

  There is never a time when I have not enjoyed Math. Atleast that was my idea when i was in class 10. Then I came to +2 & faced a chapter called "permutation & combination" which gave me a blow hard enough to snatch my earlier idea. I hated it from top to bottom. Later on I faced "probability" in 2nd year which made me feel even worse. Somehow I was successful in consoling myself that I was still good in math especially in "relation & function" which holds an elite reputation among all chapters.  When I joined CET for B-Tech I was in ecstasy because I no longer have to frustrate myself with probability again. But my joy lasted for a year when I came to know that in GATE exam there is rarely a time when a question from probability is not asked. It was hard to digest. Later on I thought joining Made Easy might help. So I did that in 3rd year for a 2 year programme just like most of my classmates did. Did it change anything ?  Ofcourse no, other...

Weird Translations of Marvel & DC Characters

This is going to be some weird fun. I bet.  However, before coming into the center of our topic, which is weird translations, I would say one thing : "Stan Lee was Brilliant. No doubt about that. The way he has woven those characters & the extent of their relatability to people around the world is simply insane." As classy his own name (STAN LEE) sounds, his characters sound equally classy when you speak them aloud.  Now if we talk about the other side of the table, which is the dark DC, their characters have their appeal as well. Saying "Flash" gives nothing short of a mini adrenaline rush. Now we will see how these flowery names sound, once translated into a different language (in this case ODIA).  So without further ado, let's jump into the center.  Marvel Characters: 1) Pimpudi Manisa  2) Kala Bagha   3) Budhiani Manisa  4) Advuta Daktara  5) Pruthalakaya  6) America ra Adhinayaka  7) Drusti Shakti  8) Bichitra Adhinayika ...

A Story of My Love Affair with Language

When it comes to study, everyone has their memories from childhood. Me too. So if I have to sum up my whole childhood in one word it would be this : MATHEMATICS. Doesn't matter how much you score in other subjects, if your math score is bad, you are a #gadha (donkey). Atleast that was the scenario in my place.  Now I wouldn't lie. I really loved Math (& still do). The dance of numbers, the allignment of geometry & the magic of graphs was exciting from top to bottom. The process of getting trapped in a difficult math problem & using all your mental faculties to reach the final solution is nothing short of a mini adventure. During that period nothing can distract me unless it's an earthquake. I remember when I was in class 3 or 4, we got a tape recorder & we used to play Odia albums almost everyday. I used to keep humming those songs all day. Also at night every Saturday we used to watch Odia movies. So there was always this hunger for stories & music.  Du...