Skip to main content

Which Movies to Watch in 2023 ? Here is 6 ways.


First thing first, a very happy new year to all of you. Hope you are doing good & healthy. Now, let's start the year with a spice of movies. 

Over the last decade, while watching movies there are few times when I have felt "Yes, I am missing out on some gold standard movies". I am sure you have felt it too. I felt it when I watched Udaan. I felt it when I watched Gangs of Wasseypur. I felt it when I watched Major. I felt it when I watched Life of Pi. 

I was busy with all the commercial movies, then I met these beautiful movies which usually goes unnoticed. Not that there is any thing wrong with commercial movies, but don't you think there is more to movies than just MASS ENTERTAINMENT ? 

I was busy watching Marvel movies, then I heard about PARASITE. I watched it & my mind went blank. I was busy watching Fast & Furious, then I heard about CATCH ME IF YOU CAN. I watched it & again, my mind went blank. 

Over all these years these out-of-the-box movies have led me to ask myself one simple question "Don't you think you should be more selective while picking movies ?" And my answer is an emphatic YESSS. In the vast sea of movies i am sure these 6 kinds of movies will help you stay on track by making sure you get the best of both worlds. So without further ado, let's start.

1) Movies of Great Directors :


Not all movies are powered by big stars. Some are powered by ambitious directors having a game changing vision. 
You can't say you missed a movie directed by S.S. Rajamouli, Anurag Kashyap, Raju Hirani or even Christopher Nolan. These guys have a charm of their own irrespective of who is the lead actor. 

2) Movies of Favourite Actors : 
No matter who you are, there is no denying that we all have our weakness towards few actors. Whether you call yourself a fan or not, whether you know it consciously or not, WE. ALL. HAVE. OUR. FAVOURITES. And It wouldn't be fair to miss their movies.  For example, I didn't miss "Zero" in theatres although it was the a weird SRK movie in recent past. I watched it only for showing love & support. 

3) Critically Acclaimed Movies : 
Let's call it the kind of movies that sweep all  the awards into their bag. I know some of these movies are overrated & some are purely boring, but there is no doubt that they challenge you to look at movies with a different set of eyes. And I believe watching few such movies worth all the trouble. Afterall, they are the ones pushing the boundaries of Art. "Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri" is a quick example. 

4) Franchise movies : 


No need of explanation here, afterall this world is filled with fans of MCU, DC, Harry Porter & hundreds of TV Shows like Family Man & Mirzapur. They are the symbol of CROWD ENTERTAINMENT. They just have to be on the list. 

5) Most Hyped Underdogs :
Usually I don't watch movies of unknown actors or directors (especially when they are new comers) but recently I heard about the level of hype surrounding movies like 777 Charlie, Sita Ramam, Ratsasan, Monica O my Darling & Tumbbad. These underdogs have earned wide attention for all the right reasons & I can't wait to watch them soon. 

6) Niche Favourites : 
After watching all the above films, now it's time to forget about who is the director or actor, which movie is the most Hyped or which movie belongs to while franchise. Forget all these & focus on YOUSELF. 
What kind of stories you personally want to watch irrespective of anything ? For example, I love to travel. That's why I love travel movies. Personally I love INTO THE WILD. No big stars. No big Directors. Doesn't belong to any franchise. Its the CONTENT that is appealing to me & that's why I like it. 


In the end, I believe as a cine lover we should not be overly indulged in any particular kind of movies. We should explore and try to maintain a HEALTHY BALANCE of all kinds of movies because there is no fun eating rice, dal & curry all days. Sometimes you need to replace them with a hot plate of biriyani & few sticks of ice cream. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Face of Frustration

  There is never a time when I have not enjoyed Math. Atleast that was my idea when i was in class 10. Then I came to +2 & faced a chapter called "permutation & combination" which gave me a blow hard enough to snatch my earlier idea. I hated it from top to bottom. Later on I faced "probability" in 2nd year which made me feel even worse. Somehow I was successful in consoling myself that I was still good in math especially in "relation & function" which holds an elite reputation among all chapters.  When I joined CET for B-Tech I was in ecstasy because I no longer have to frustrate myself with probability again. But my joy lasted for a year when I came to know that in GATE exam there is rarely a time when a question from probability is not asked. It was hard to digest. Later on I thought joining Made Easy might help. So I did that in 3rd year for a 2 year programme just like most of my classmates did. Did it change anything ?  Ofcourse no, other...

Weird Translations of Marvel & DC Characters

This is going to be some weird fun. I bet.  However, before coming into the center of our topic, which is weird translations, I would say one thing : "Stan Lee was Brilliant. No doubt about that. The way he has woven those characters & the extent of their relatability to people around the world is simply insane." As classy his own name (STAN LEE) sounds, his characters sound equally classy when you speak them aloud.  Now if we talk about the other side of the table, which is the dark DC, their characters have their appeal as well. Saying "Flash" gives nothing short of a mini adrenaline rush. Now we will see how these flowery names sound, once translated into a different language (in this case ODIA).  So without further ado, let's jump into the center.  Marvel Characters: 1) Pimpudi Manisa  2) Kala Bagha   3) Budhiani Manisa  4) Advuta Daktara  5) Pruthalakaya  6) America ra Adhinayaka  7) Drusti Shakti  8) Bichitra Adhinayika ...

People-Killing Lightnings of Odisha

As a coastal state Odisha is blessed with a beach. But it has brought it's fair share of adversities too. It's most commonly known adversary being Cyclones, Lightnings have somehow stayed away from public discussion. Part of the reason is that lightnings don't impact an entire geographical area, which somehow leads to lower public awareness. But the thing is they usually don't strike, but when they do, they do it hard.  Statistics shows, in Odisha cyclone kills around 60-70 people per year while lightning takes 250-300 lives. All this within a span of 5 months (may to sep). Now guess which state of India is at the top when it comes to lightning count ? It's none other than the beach side state called Odisha. Madhya Pradesh & Jharkhand takes the no 2 & no 3 spot.  What's more surprising, 96% of death comes from rural areas. They are mostly farmers, labourers & tribal people. The most fundamental causes of death are : 1) Working in Open agricultural fi...