Skip to main content

Top Gun : Maverick

Box Office : 1.4B Dollar 

IMDb : 8.3

Rotten Tomatoes : 96% 

Well, these are the figures of Top Gun 2. But before I continue any further let me share with you a small story :  

In 2015 I watched interview of a US Airforce Pilot talking about his experience. It was a nice interview. Before ending the interview the interviewer asked him to name few of his favourite movies. As you can expect, he picked "Top Gun". Then he spent couple of minutes reflecting its impact on him during his childhood days. Till that point I had no idea about that movie. Then I Googled & came to know it's a Tom Cruise movie.  So I decided to give it a try.      

I watched it. 

I loved it. 

But I wouldn't say it was an outstanding movie in terms of its story. It was precisely good just like other successful movies that has its fair share of romance, emotion & a  decent storyline. But 2 things really stands apart from Top Gun (1986) : 

1) Action Sequences : 

I'm not sure how appealing current generation people would find those action scenes. But if we talk about the level of technology in 1986, it clearly stands apart from the rest of the crowd. It uses fighter plains to shoot the action scenes. And I can't imagine how difficult it would have been to shoot those gravity defying air maneuvers portrayed with such degree of seamlessness. 

2) Music : 

There are few movies where the music has been  an integral part of its story. Well this is one of those movies. It's Theme Song sets the the Airforce vibe like magic, while the song "Take My Breathe Away" momentarily transforms you into a fairy land & keeps you engaged with its romantic moments.  

So it is safe to say that "Top Gun (1986) is a worthy watch".  

Now fast forward to 2022, after 36 years, we have its sequel "Top Gun : Maverick". It shatters Box Office records, receives critical acclaim from critics for being "The Most Realistic Flying Movie Ever" & becomes No 1 movie of the year. 

Now I would say this "If you have watched it in theatre then I envy you, because I couldn't". But If you haven't then i have a news for you "The Bluray version is out".  

P.S : If you want the best out of Part 2, then don't Miss Part 1. It's available in Netflix. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Face of Frustration

  There is never a time when I have not enjoyed Math. Atleast that was my idea when i was in class 10. Then I came to +2 & faced a chapter called "permutation & combination" which gave me a blow hard enough to snatch my earlier idea. I hated it from top to bottom. Later on I faced "probability" in 2nd year which made me feel even worse. Somehow I was successful in consoling myself that I was still good in math especially in "relation & function" which holds an elite reputation among all chapters.  When I joined CET for B-Tech I was in ecstasy because I no longer have to frustrate myself with probability again. But my joy lasted for a year when I came to know that in GATE exam there is rarely a time when a question from probability is not asked. It was hard to digest. Later on I thought joining Made Easy might help. So I did that in 3rd year for a 2 year programme just like most of my classmates did. Did it change anything ?  Ofcourse no, other...

Weird Translations of Marvel & DC Characters

This is going to be some weird fun. I bet.  However, before coming into the center of our topic, which is weird translations, I would say one thing : "Stan Lee was Brilliant. No doubt about that. The way he has woven those characters & the extent of their relatability to people around the world is simply insane." As classy his own name (STAN LEE) sounds, his characters sound equally classy when you speak them aloud.  Now if we talk about the other side of the table, which is the dark DC, their characters have their appeal as well. Saying "Flash" gives nothing short of a mini adrenaline rush. Now we will see how these flowery names sound, once translated into a different language (in this case ODIA).  So without further ado, let's jump into the center.  Marvel Characters: 1) Pimpudi Manisa  2) Kala Bagha   3) Budhiani Manisa  4) Advuta Daktara  5) Pruthalakaya  6) America ra Adhinayaka  7) Drusti Shakti  8) Bichitra Adhinayika ...

People-Killing Lightnings of Odisha

As a coastal state Odisha is blessed with a beach. But it has brought it's fair share of adversities too. It's most commonly known adversary being Cyclones, Lightnings have somehow stayed away from public discussion. Part of the reason is that lightnings don't impact an entire geographical area, which somehow leads to lower public awareness. But the thing is they usually don't strike, but when they do, they do it hard.  Statistics shows, in Odisha cyclone kills around 60-70 people per year while lightning takes 250-300 lives. All this within a span of 5 months (may to sep). Now guess which state of India is at the top when it comes to lightning count ? It's none other than the beach side state called Odisha. Madhya Pradesh & Jharkhand takes the no 2 & no 3 spot.  What's more surprising, 96% of death comes from rural areas. They are mostly farmers, labourers & tribal people. The most fundamental causes of death are : 1) Working in Open agricultural fi...