Skip to main content

The illusion of "Passion"

I loved Steve Jobs & still do. One of the best in the game. I read "Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish" in +2 & this chapter hooked me like fevicol which become a part of my life philosophy. It talks about lots of things, but passion has been hilighted here like never before. Well, why me, in fact millions of students have come across this chapter (his Stanford speech) & have been deeply influenced by this term.

Ironically, this epic speech has not only opened, but it has also blocked the road for millions. How ? Let's find out.

Although passion has been used multiple times in his speech, but he has never concretely defined it. That's why people have applied this term in several contexts without any ground understanding of its true meaning. 

Consider the case of Rahul : an imaginary kid, who is excited about entrepreneurship. He heard the story of Mark Zuckerberg & said "I found my passion". Next day, he played a friendly cricket tournament in school & said "I got my passion, its actually cricket. Entrepreneurship was just some temporary fling". Then he kept playing cricket & one day when the game becomes challenging he gave up & said "Cricket was just for fun. Actually I am an entrepreneur material". Adults are no exception. They have also the same mentality, but let's not talk about it just to avoid some embarrassement.

So what exactly is Passion ? 

At this point, let's introduce another term into our discussion "Interest".  Are they same ? Ofcourse not. But how to identify what is a interest & what is a passion? I would say, its a tricky topic, so let's not hurry.

Let's talk about Rahul once again. I guess you would agree with me that CRICKET was just an INTEREST for that kid. What about being an ENTREPRENEUR ?  

Was it an interest ? Yes, it was. Was it also a  passion ? We don't know. How come we don't know ? Let's find out. 

You saw that kid just changed his path from entrepreneurship to cricket. But how long did he survive there ? May be a couple of months untill the game got tougher. If It was his passion, he would have stuck with his game, no matter how difficult his circumstance became. But he didn't. Also, we can't comment of whether entrepreneurship is really his passion, because he is still in school.

So without wasting time let's define it. 

"Passion is Interest added with commitment". Most important part of the definition being the 2nd half.

In the earlier stage of a person, there can be 4 or 5 interests, but there can be only ONE passion. Yes, multi-passionate people exist, but only after they gain mastery over one passion & usually it happens in latter half of life. 

Talking about Steve Jobs, creating Apple was not just another interest for him like cooking a tasty dinner. It's something he was not only interested about, but was also  committed to make it a giant success. 

I know, at this point I might be sounding like some sort of motivational guru, which I absolutely hate. But getting some clarity was the ultimate target, which I guess I pretty much did. 

If you have anything to say, feel free to put it in comment box. Thank you.

Comments

  1. Hey stranger,
    If you think these words meant something to you, or rather helped you in any way, don't hesitate to leave a feedback..

    It matters...a lot..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Face of Frustration

  There is never a time when I have not enjoyed Math. Atleast that was my idea when i was in class 10. Then I came to +2 & faced a chapter called "permutation & combination" which gave me a blow hard enough to snatch my earlier idea. I hated it from top to bottom. Later on I faced "probability" in 2nd year which made me feel even worse. Somehow I was successful in consoling myself that I was still good in math especially in "relation & function" which holds an elite reputation among all chapters.  When I joined CET for B-Tech I was in ecstasy because I no longer have to frustrate myself with probability again. But my joy lasted for a year when I came to know that in GATE exam there is rarely a time when a question from probability is not asked. It was hard to digest. Later on I thought joining Made Easy might help. So I did that in 3rd year for a 2 year programme just like most of my classmates did. Did it change anything ?  Ofcourse no, other...

Weird Translations of Marvel & DC Characters

This is going to be some weird fun. I bet.  However, before coming into the center of our topic, which is weird translations, I would say one thing : "Stan Lee was Brilliant. No doubt about that. The way he has woven those characters & the extent of their relatability to people around the world is simply insane." As classy his own name (STAN LEE) sounds, his characters sound equally classy when you speak them aloud.  Now if we talk about the other side of the table, which is the dark DC, their characters have their appeal as well. Saying "Flash" gives nothing short of a mini adrenaline rush. Now we will see how these flowery names sound, once translated into a different language (in this case ODIA).  So without further ado, let's jump into the center.  Marvel Characters: 1) Pimpudi Manisa  2) Kala Bagha   3) Budhiani Manisa  4) Advuta Daktara  5) Pruthalakaya  6) America ra Adhinayaka  7) Drusti Shakti  8) Bichitra Adhinayika ...

People-Killing Lightnings of Odisha

As a coastal state Odisha is blessed with a beach. But it has brought it's fair share of adversities too. It's most commonly known adversary being Cyclones, Lightnings have somehow stayed away from public discussion. Part of the reason is that lightnings don't impact an entire geographical area, which somehow leads to lower public awareness. But the thing is they usually don't strike, but when they do, they do it hard.  Statistics shows, in Odisha cyclone kills around 60-70 people per year while lightning takes 250-300 lives. All this within a span of 5 months (may to sep). Now guess which state of India is at the top when it comes to lightning count ? It's none other than the beach side state called Odisha. Madhya Pradesh & Jharkhand takes the no 2 & no 3 spot.  What's more surprising, 96% of death comes from rural areas. They are mostly farmers, labourers & tribal people. The most fundamental causes of death are : 1) Working in Open agricultural fi...