Skip to main content

How to Beat Misinformation ?


Who doesn't like a good story ? When you are a child you get stories from your grand parents, in your boyhood you get stories from Television & in your adolescence you are literally bombarded with Movies & TV series. I myself watched around 700 films only in engineering & I have heard people who have crossed 2000 mark too. So what's so special about stories that resonates so well with everyone despite all our differences ?

Flavour. In desi language, Masala. Only a handful of people truly knew what happened to Sanjay Dutt untill "Sanju" released in theaters & whole India started googling about the Incident. I doubt even our parents knew about Titanic. But now that James Cameron directed "Titanic" with pitch perfect fictionalization, whole world knows the what, when & how related to that incident. 

Nobody is a fan of Doordarshan when it comes to news. Because it only presents news but we want entertainment too. So to meet our demand news channels started using background music & catchy graphics. Even in the early days Facebook was not much of an interesting place untill "Memes" was invented & people went Gaga over it. So what exactly we are looking for in a piece of news ? A gentle touch of story & a whole lot of entertainment. 

But this scenario was different back in the 90's or early 2000's. We used to sit in front of Television for "Information" not for "Entertainment". We valued "Truth" of the event rather than the "Dramatization" of reality. We were much more interested in "Listening" news instead of "Creating" funny news through Memes. As you can see, our expectation from news has gone wild. But is there any hope that we can get back those years ? 

My answer is "No". Yes, I am a little pessimistic in this regard. We are never going to get back those years. Currently, our whole news broadcasting industry is a hub of business. Competition for TRP is sky high. If your news is not spicy enough you are dead. So I don't see there is any collective solution for this problem unless some strict guidelines or censorship is established through government interference. But I do have a solution on a personal level. We, as a receiver of polarised news, can use few techniques to shield ourselves against misinformation. 

i) Stop watching news for an entertaining story. Watch them to find Truth. 

ii) Don't expect anything from Memes other than Entertainment. 

iii) Use your "Logical Brain" instead of your "Emotional Heart" while watching news. 

iv) Lastly, follow "WHO" instead of "YouTubers" or "Facebookers" when it comes to Covid-19.


Thank You!

Comments

  1. You forgot to mention about Shaktiman, Aryaman and the 12 PM retro hindi movies and 3 Pm odia movies like Pua mora bhola shankara, Ki haba sua poshile, Bhai hela bhagari. Doordarshan was the only treasure of happiness with so much masterpiece movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually what I was trying to say is that "Dordarshan presents only news; not entertainment through news." And you are right in saying that it also presents a lot of entertaining serials & films too...Shaktiman being my favourite .

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Face of Frustration

  There is never a time when I have not enjoyed Math. Atleast that was my idea when i was in class 10. Then I came to +2 & faced a chapter called "permutation & combination" which gave me a blow hard enough to snatch my earlier idea. I hated it from top to bottom. Later on I faced "probability" in 2nd year which made me feel even worse. Somehow I was successful in consoling myself that I was still good in math especially in "relation & function" which holds an elite reputation among all chapters.  When I joined CET for B-Tech I was in ecstasy because I no longer have to frustrate myself with probability again. But my joy lasted for a year when I came to know that in GATE exam there is rarely a time when a question from probability is not asked. It was hard to digest. Later on I thought joining Made Easy might help. So I did that in 3rd year for a 2 year programme just like most of my classmates did. Did it change anything ?  Ofcourse no, other...

Weird Translations of Marvel & DC Characters

This is going to be some weird fun. I bet.  However, before coming into the center of our topic, which is weird translations, I would say one thing : "Stan Lee was Brilliant. No doubt about that. The way he has woven those characters & the extent of their relatability to people around the world is simply insane." As classy his own name (STAN LEE) sounds, his characters sound equally classy when you speak them aloud.  Now if we talk about the other side of the table, which is the dark DC, their characters have their appeal as well. Saying "Flash" gives nothing short of a mini adrenaline rush. Now we will see how these flowery names sound, once translated into a different language (in this case ODIA).  So without further ado, let's jump into the center.  Marvel Characters: 1) Pimpudi Manisa  2) Kala Bagha   3) Budhiani Manisa  4) Advuta Daktara  5) Pruthalakaya  6) America ra Adhinayaka  7) Drusti Shakti  8) Bichitra Adhinayika ...

A Story of My Love Affair with Language

When it comes to study, everyone has their memories from childhood. Me too. So if I have to sum up my whole childhood in one word it would be this : MATHEMATICS. Doesn't matter how much you score in other subjects, if your math score is bad, you are a #gadha (donkey). Atleast that was the scenario in my place.  Now I wouldn't lie. I really loved Math (& still do). The dance of numbers, the allignment of geometry & the magic of graphs was exciting from top to bottom. The process of getting trapped in a difficult math problem & using all your mental faculties to reach the final solution is nothing short of a mini adventure. During that period nothing can distract me unless it's an earthquake. I remember when I was in class 3 or 4, we got a tape recorder & we used to play Odia albums almost everyday. I used to keep humming those songs all day. Also at night every Saturday we used to watch Odia movies. So there was always this hunger for stories & music.  Du...