Skip to main content

Story of my Literary Beginning!

 


It all started in the first year of engineering while watching TWILIGHT, the vampire story. I downloaded all the 5 movies, watched them in 2 days & loved them. Although I was not satisfied with the last 2 parts, I loved the setting, the breezy atmosphere & the romantic scenes. After watching them I felt something I had never felt before. I was in love with Bella right from the first movie until one my friend told me that the actress is a lesbian, then I had kind of a mixed feeling about her. But I loved the movies nevertheless.

I was so infatuated in love that I started googling about the films for more details. That’s when I knew that these films were all based on a series of fantasy novels by Stephanie Meyer. Before that I had no prior knowledge of any sort on what a novel is or why to even bother to read them. But that’s the day something changed in me. Then I moved to Amazon & I was overwhelmed by the amounts & varieties of novels I found there. I spent hours searching novels of all possible kinds & thought of buying one. My attention locked on one romance novel which was on the top of the list named “Gone with the Wind”. The title seemed classic & I ordered it without a second thought.

One week later I received the copy only to find myself disappointed by the fact that it’s page count was over 1000. A magnum opus indeed. That was discouraging for me as a new comer trying to enter into this bookish world. At that time I was in my village & it was summer. Playing cricket in the afternoon was something I enjoyed there, but I had nothing to do in the night. After a series of boring & lonely nights I thought “let’s fucking do this”. I reached to the self, picked this fat book in my tiny hands & started reading it.

Honestly speaking, I knew I can’t finish such a huge book. So instead of focusing on the overall plot of the novel I started focusing on the writing style in few passages. I liked the author’s description. I liked the way the author was trying to introduce the characters. So that time onwards I had a rough idea about what it was like to read a novel. When I left my village for my college I was hooked by novels & developed a genuine respect for books. But whatever has happened till this point is like a drop of water in the river. The next year onwards the river filled with water. Then a time came when flood arrived & the water of the river lead their way to the sea where they were lost in waves of literature.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Face of Frustration

  There is never a time when I have not enjoyed Math. Atleast that was my idea when i was in class 10. Then I came to +2 & faced a chapter called "permutation & combination" which gave me a blow hard enough to snatch my earlier idea. I hated it from top to bottom. Later on I faced "probability" in 2nd year which made me feel even worse. Somehow I was successful in consoling myself that I was still good in math especially in "relation & function" which holds an elite reputation among all chapters.  When I joined CET for B-Tech I was in ecstasy because I no longer have to frustrate myself with probability again. But my joy lasted for a year when I came to know that in GATE exam there is rarely a time when a question from probability is not asked. It was hard to digest. Later on I thought joining Made Easy might help. So I did that in 3rd year for a 2 year programme just like most of my classmates did. Did it change anything ?  Ofcourse no, other...

Weird Translations of Marvel & DC Characters

This is going to be some weird fun. I bet.  However, before coming into the center of our topic, which is weird translations, I would say one thing : "Stan Lee was Brilliant. No doubt about that. The way he has woven those characters & the extent of their relatability to people around the world is simply insane." As classy his own name (STAN LEE) sounds, his characters sound equally classy when you speak them aloud.  Now if we talk about the other side of the table, which is the dark DC, their characters have their appeal as well. Saying "Flash" gives nothing short of a mini adrenaline rush. Now we will see how these flowery names sound, once translated into a different language (in this case ODIA).  So without further ado, let's jump into the center.  Marvel Characters: 1) Pimpudi Manisa  2) Kala Bagha   3) Budhiani Manisa  4) Advuta Daktara  5) Pruthalakaya  6) America ra Adhinayaka  7) Drusti Shakti  8) Bichitra Adhinayika ...

A Story of My Love Affair with Language

When it comes to study, everyone has their memories from childhood. Me too. So if I have to sum up my whole childhood in one word it would be this : MATHEMATICS. Doesn't matter how much you score in other subjects, if your math score is bad, you are a #gadha (donkey). Atleast that was the scenario in my place.  Now I wouldn't lie. I really loved Math (& still do). The dance of numbers, the allignment of geometry & the magic of graphs was exciting from top to bottom. The process of getting trapped in a difficult math problem & using all your mental faculties to reach the final solution is nothing short of a mini adventure. During that period nothing can distract me unless it's an earthquake. I remember when I was in class 3 or 4, we got a tape recorder & we used to play Odia albums almost everyday. I used to keep humming those songs all day. Also at night every Saturday we used to watch Odia movies. So there was always this hunger for stories & music.  Du...