Skip to main content

People-Killing Lightnings of Odisha


As a coastal state Odisha is blessed with a beach. But it has brought it's fair share of adversities too. It's most commonly known adversary being Cyclones, Lightnings have somehow stayed away from public discussion. Part of the reason is that lightnings don't impact an entire geographical area, which somehow leads to lower public awareness. But the thing is they usually don't strike, but when they do, they do it hard. 

Statistics shows, in Odisha cyclone kills around 60-70 people per year while lightning takes 250-300 lives. All this within a span of 5 months (may to sep). Now guess which state of India is at the top when it comes to lightning count ? It's none other than the beach side state called Odisha. Madhya Pradesh & Jharkhand takes the no 2 & no 3 spot. 


What's more surprising, 96% of death comes from rural areas. They are mostly farmers, labourers & tribal people. The most fundamental causes of death are :

1) Working in Open agricultural fields during monsoon seasons 

2) Staying in lightning prone homes (without proper earthing & not using lightning arresters) 

3) Lack of awareness about pre-cautionary measures during thunder storms 

Although initiatives are being taken to spread awareness, the sheer scale of death is intensely tragic. Personally I have witnessed few cases in my village too.  

On a regular stormy day a bread-earner of a family would be working in the fields & hours later people would carry his dead body back to home. An entire family would turn into skeletons. Children playing in open field would catch lightning & burn like a coal. Few family members would be sharing meals inside their lightning-prone homes & one strike would decimate them into flesh & bones. 

Call it foolishness of those people or their inevitable circumstance that pushes them into the open field, I would remember it as one of god's deadliest curse to the state of Odisha.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Face of Frustration

  There is never a time when I have not enjoyed Math. Atleast that was my idea when i was in class 10. Then I came to +2 & faced a chapter called "permutation & combination" which gave me a blow hard enough to snatch my earlier idea. I hated it from top to bottom. Later on I faced "probability" in 2nd year which made me feel even worse. Somehow I was successful in consoling myself that I was still good in math especially in "relation & function" which holds an elite reputation among all chapters.  When I joined CET for B-Tech I was in ecstasy because I no longer have to frustrate myself with probability again. But my joy lasted for a year when I came to know that in GATE exam there is rarely a time when a question from probability is not asked. It was hard to digest. Later on I thought joining Made Easy might help. So I did that in 3rd year for a 2 year programme just like most of my classmates did. Did it change anything ?  Ofcourse no, other...

Weird Translations of Marvel & DC Characters

This is going to be some weird fun. I bet.  However, before coming into the center of our topic, which is weird translations, I would say one thing : "Stan Lee was Brilliant. No doubt about that. The way he has woven those characters & the extent of their relatability to people around the world is simply insane." As classy his own name (STAN LEE) sounds, his characters sound equally classy when you speak them aloud.  Now if we talk about the other side of the table, which is the dark DC, their characters have their appeal as well. Saying "Flash" gives nothing short of a mini adrenaline rush. Now we will see how these flowery names sound, once translated into a different language (in this case ODIA).  So without further ado, let's jump into the center.  Marvel Characters: 1) Pimpudi Manisa  2) Kala Bagha   3) Budhiani Manisa  4) Advuta Daktara  5) Pruthalakaya  6) America ra Adhinayaka  7) Drusti Shakti  8) Bichitra Adhinayika ...